What happens if a baby gets shocked?
A child who has received an electric shock should be seen by a pediatrician because shock may cause internal damage that can’t be detected without a medical examination. Your pediatrician will clean and dress surface burns and order tests for signs of damage to internal organs.
What should you do if a child gets an electric shock?
If Your Child Is Electrocuted . . .
- Turn off the power source. Pull the plug, or switch off the electricity at the fuse box or circuit breaker. …
- Have someone call 911 (or your local emergency number). …
- Check your child’s breathing and pulse. …
- Check for burns once your child resumes breathing.
Can electric shock hurt baby?
ANSWER: There are conflicting reports on how harmful electric shock is to a fetus. The clinical spectrum of electrical injury ranges from a transient unpleasant sensation felt by a mother and no effect on her fetus to fetal death either immediately or few days later.
How do you know if baby got electrocuted?
Following a low-voltage shock, go to the emergency department for the following concerns:
- Any noticeable burn to the skin.
- Any period of unconsciousness.
- Any numbness, tingling, paralysis, vision, hearing, or speech problems.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Any electric shock if you’re more than 20 weeks’ pregnant.
Can a child get electrocuted from a plug socket?
In short, electrocution death is extremely unlikely for anyone, and especially so for children. If you’re installing outlet covers to avoid accidental electrocution death, there are much better uses of your time.
Can babies get electrocuted from outlet?
If your baby puts something in an outlet, they are at serious risk for an electrical shock. Every year, approximately 2,400 children are treated for shocks and burns related to tampering with electrical outlets. That’s about 7 children every day. Even more troubling, about 12 children die from these injuries each year.
What are the after effects of electric shock?
A shock can affect the nervous system
When nerves are affected by an electric shock, the consequences include pain, tingling, numbness, weakness or difficulty moving a limb. These effects may clear up with time or be permanent. Electric injury can also affect the central nervous system.
What is a mild electric shock?
When you touch a light switch to turn on a light, you may receive a minor electrical shock. You may feel tingling in your hand or arm. Usually, this tingling goes away in a few minutes. If you do not have damage to the skin or other symptoms, there is no reason to worry.